This breakfast bake adds traditional and familiar southwestern flavors to your morning, which can be suited to your individual heat-level preferences.
Southwestern Egg Casserole
Write a review
1 hr 30 min
1 hr 30 min
- 1 lb bulk breakfast sausage
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 6 cups cubed (1-inch) French bread
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend (8 oz)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped seeded plum (Roma) tomatoes
- 1 can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso™ chopped green chiles
- 10 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salsa, sour cream and chopped fresh cilantro, if desired
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) baking dish with cooking spray. In 10-inch nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until no longer pink; drain and set aside. Reduce heat to medium. In same skillet, cook bell pepper 3 to 5 minutes or until tender.
- In baking dish, layer half of the French bread, 1 1/2 cups of the cheese, the bell pepper, green onions, tomatoes, chopped green chiles, sausage and remaining bread. In large bowl, beat eggs and milk with whisk; beat in chili powder and cumin. Pour over bread mixture, pressing down slightly. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until golden brown and center is just set. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. Serve with salsa, sour cream and cilantro.
- * If you prefer more heat, substitute spicy breakfast sausage or shredded pepper Jack cheese for the regular breakfast sausage and the Mexican cheese blend.
- * Assemble, cover and refrigerate this bake the night before so it’s ready to uncover and pop in the oven in the morning. You may need to add an additional 5 to 10 minutes to bake time.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
- Serving Size: 1 Serving
- Calories 410, Total Fat 24g, Cholesterol 290mg, Sodium 640mg, Total Carbohydrate 23g, Fiber 1g, Sugar 7g, Protein 25g
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Christmas Kitchen https://www.christmaskitchen.org/